Dental Fillings in Garland, TX
Natural Colored Fillings For A Natural Smile
For the majority of us, we have at least developed one cavity as adults. This is because even with us properly brushing and flossing, nothing is perfect. Thankfully, going for your routine dental cleanings and exams our Garland dentist can spot a cavity in the early stages!
When cavities are caught early, we can fix them with a small filling instead of doing a root canal treatment. At Optima Dentistry and Orthodontics, we pride ourselves in using naturally colored fillings that contain no mercury!
What Is A Dental Filling
Just like the name suggest, fillings fill decay caused by cavities. Filling this cavity-caused hole with a dental filling helps prevent the spread of decay to the rest of the tooth. More importantly, it helps stop the decay from spreading into the more sensitive part of the tooth such as the inner pulp.
Types Of Dental Fillings
Their are a variety of dental fillings, but the process of a filling treatment is the same. The two main types of dental fillings are metal fillings and tooth-colored fillings. Both of these options have pros and cons depending on what the case is.
- Metal Fillings
- Amalgam: The most commonly used filling, the silver filling, has been used for about a century! The amalgam filling is composed of tin, mercury, silver, and copper. The pros of this type of filling is that they are relatively inexpensive and really strong. However, they are more noticeable than its counterparts and require more drilling in order to complete the treatment.
- Gold: A gold filling is one of the most strong filling materials in the market, however it is expensive and noticeable.
- Composite: One of the more popular choices amongst our Garland dental filling patients is that of composite fillings. Composite fillings are made up of glass and plastic that bond to the rest of the tooth. When compared to amalgam fillings, they are as strong as them and hold up for about the same amount of time. In addition, they require less drilling but are more expensive.
- Porcelain: This modern day filling are strong, lifelike, and don’t stain as easy as composite fillings. Yet, they are more expensive as porcelain fillings need to be made in a special lab. Furthermore, since they are high in glass content, they can be quite brittle.
Looking For A Dental Filling Specialist in Garland? Contact Us!
What To Expect When Getting A Dental Filling
Fortunately, getting a dental filling is one of the most simplest procedures in dentistry! Our specialist in Garland for dental fillings are one of the most experienced and gentlest dentist in the area! This is what you can expect when getting a filling in Garland:
- Our general dentist will make sure you are relaxed and numb before the treatment.
- We’ll begin by cleaning out any noticeable decay on your tooth and prep it for a filling.
- Depending on the type of filling you choose, we’ll start making the filling.
- In order to speed up the process, we’ll use a special UV light in order to bond the filling to the tooth.
- You’re done!
Now knowing that their is nothing scary about getting a filling, be sure to contact our Garland dental office to get your tooth back to normal!